Friday, August 23, 2013

My Type of Writing


I can honestly say that writing has not always been one of my favorite activities. My mathematically inclined mind constantly makes me dread writing. Writing assignments in high school were always my last priority, but I always completed them. Probably the hardest part about writing, for me, is getting started. Maybe the reason I hate the thought of writing is because I know how hard writing makes me think. Once I get started on a writing assignment I begin to enjoy it more than I expected. My mind wanders to the millions of topics I can cover and how to cover them. It really does not matter to me whether I write it down on paper or if I type it on my computer. Either way, once I begin writing I continue until I finish. I am not the type of person to erase or go back on what I have written; I would rather just rewrite the whole article once I complete it if I do not like it. Everything I am writing at this moment is popping into my head as I continue to type on. Sometimes my thoughts come out in a jumble, but once I see them on paper I can put them all together in a way that makes sense to everyone else.
 In addition, I enjoy hearing noise while I work. It does not matter what type of noise. It may be students comparing answers in the student center, or it may be my music playing inside of my dorm room. Any type of soothing noise calms me; unlike silence, which only intimidates me. I work better in an open environment where there are interactions going on. Somehow this keeps me interested in what I am working on. One thing I can say is I am definitely excited about my Composition 1 class this year. This new environment and new ideas on how to teach composition is intriguing to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment