Monday, September 9, 2013


My writing process for my essay began with choosing a commercial that I could relate to so that I knew more about the subject it may be trying to get across. I chose a commercial on dentistry because my grandfather was a dentist and my mother is a dental hygienist. Needless to say, I hear plenty about the subject at home. I chose specifically a commercial on Crest toothpaste because that is the toothpaste I use today. It was interesting comparing the toothpaste advertisements back then, and now. As I pointed out in one of my earlier blogs, the hardest part of writing for me is getting started. It was a lot easier for me to begin because of the mandatory blogs and drafts. I also pointed out in my older blog that once I begin writing, I somehow enjoy it and do not stop until I finish. That is definitely what happened with this paper. I watched the commercial multiple times so that I knew it backwards and forwards. I took notes on it every time to make sure I noticed every detail. This could count as using heuristics, which is a method I never would have thought of using before I was taught about it in this class. It helped so much because with every idea I wrote down about the commercial, I could think about the implications that existed in those ideas. That helped so much when I was trying to find things to elaborate on in my paper. I never thought about actually applying the “paraphrase X3” method. I think I subconsciously used it, though. I would write a paragraph, then completely rewrite it using different words that strengthened it. I also cannot stress enough how helpful the workshops were. Reading other students’ work helped me to think what could be helped in my own paper. Also, the notes I received criticizing and praising my paper were so helpful and I will use every suggestion in completing my final draft. I can honestly say I am already enjoying this class more than any high school English class I have ever taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment