Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Say What You Need to Say

I am actually very excited about this essay. First of all, I absolutely love John Mayer and I get to analyze one of his songs. Second of all, I love analyzing things; it is one of my better talents, or at least something I really enjoy. I chose to analyze John Mayer's song "Say." This song is used in his original music video and in the movie "The Bucket List". In the original music video, John is standing alone in some type of dark warehouse. Strictly listening to the lyrics would make you think that John has just written some type of "anthem" to encourage everyone to "say what they need to say," which would be a logical observation because he repeats that statement numerous times throughout the song. I think differently after watching his music video. In my essay I want to elaborate on what the setting of the music video, his facial expressions, the transitions of the camera, and a few other details express to me. I'm sure everyone has seen the heart-warming, tear-jerking, hilarious movie "The Bucket List." The song "Say" is used in the trailer of that movie. The way the song and the plot of this movie work together changes the interpretation of the song. The movie is about two men who meet in a hospital on their death beds. They are both given a certain amount of days that they have left to live. They create a list of things to do before they "kick the bucket"-the bucket list. The song gives the idea in the movie of "do everything you can while you are still alive," which is perfect for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment